Isn’t this Jottum dress gorgeous? I’ve never seen any Jottum in person, but I’ve pored over pictures on their web site and the many pins on Pinterest. Fabulous, but pricy – some of their dresses can run up to $300.00. I set out to find a pattern that I could hack to make something similar. After an extensive search, I found a pattern that is very close to this velvet suspender dress. It’s pattern #96 from the Dutch pattern company Abacadabra.
As you can see, it’s already got the suspender style straps with the vertical gathers on the skirt and rows of ruffles. I did grade it up in size a bit as the largest size in the pattern is 152. Other than that, I didn’t intentionally change anything since I planned to make a trial dress from basic black jersey before I attempted a velvet one.
As is typical with European patterns, the seam allowances are not included on the pattern pieces and the construction instructions are limited to text. I think I mixed up some of my ruffle pieces as it got confusing there, but I can live with that. I did have a hard time finding any non-boring suspender clips. Local shops only have one style: the basic silver ones. The Jottum dress also uses this style clip but my first version was going to be plain black so I wanted something a little different. I ended up ordering these cool skull clips online. The quality on the clips is a little rough, but my little goth-in-training’s eyes lit up when she saw them.
Changes that I will make for version 2: The pattern seems to run quite wide. I think I will re-trace it with the 152 width and just add some length. I’d like to make the shoulder straps adjustable in length. I left out the piping called for in the pattern, but will use it on V2, along with adding some ribbon and/or other embellishment.